what’s chapping your lips besides the winter weather
Chapped lips are a common complaint during the winter months, causing dryness, flaking, swelling, and cracking, and sometimes even sores and bleeding.
But did you know that it’s not just the cold, dry weather that causes chapping? Here are some lesser-known contributors to chapped lips:
- Licking your lips. Saliva contains salt and draws moisture away from lips as it dries.
- Using whitening toothpaste. The hydrogen peroxide in whitening toothpastes is super drying, and when you brush you’re likely to get at least a little toothpaste on your lips, contributing to dryness.
- Not drinking enough water. Water is the best beverage for your overall health, including oral health, helping to keep your entire body hydrated.
So what can you do?
- The easiest and probably hardest thing to do is to stop licking your lips. Click here for tips for kicking your lip-licking habit with the help of pure haven lip balm, sugar lip scrub, and overnight lip mask, the perfect non toxic lip care trio.
- Use pure haven toothpaste to brush at least twice a day. For more brightening power, try pure haven charcoal toothpaste with probiotics.
- Get those eight glasses of water in each day. Be sure to drink water with meals to negate the effects of sticky, sugary, or acidic foods.
- Protect your lips from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Cover your mouth with a scarf when you’re out in the cold weather elements.
- Steer clear of allergens. Use our handy list of ingredients to avoid as a reference when shopping and reading labels.
Reach out to your pure haven Consultant for product suggestions and additional tips for safely preventing and tending to chapped lips.